Hi everyone! So I’ve been in my new job now for just over 3 months, and my goodness it has been a learning curve! I’m loving my work, my colleagues, and the fact that I can justify shopping (…if it’s for work-appropriate clothes of course)!
Despite all the perks of my job, I’m still getting used to waking up at 7am every morning, especially since I’ve been so busy of late, weekend lie-ins have become a distance memory…! After a particularly tiring week it got me thinking about all the things that help me get through my daily 9-5 routine, and decided to make a list of my top tips that helped me to get through my hectic weeks.
1. Eating often is one of the best ways to stop from flagging throughout the day. On my first day of work I was absolutely starving all the way up until lunch, and then had a headache for the rest of the day. Since then I’ve always made sure I eat little and often throughout the morning and mid-afternoon. Topping up with water throughout the day is a must too. It’s easy to forget little things like that, especially when your colleagues offer you constant streams of coffee and the end up dehydrated but on a caffeine high! The come-downs are the worst…
2. Getting to know your colleagues is a great idea, as you’ll be spending a lot of time with them. Work is a lot more enjoyable when you can share it with friends, so getting to know and getting along with your peers at work is a really good idea. Attending after work drinks, work socials, and sharing lifts to and from the office are all brilliant ways to make friends with the people you’ll be sharing your day and work-place with.
3. Be passionate about what you do, because you’ll be doing it all day, every day for… well, for as long as you want to keep your job! Being excited by your work and going in ready to embrace your tasks rather than avoid them are only going to improve your work day-to-day, and overall, your attitude towards your job in general.
4. Be positive follows on from this – approaching each day as a good day to learn new things and allowing yourself to find the silver lining of any problems that creep up (as they inevitably do) will help you to keep a sunny demeanor and stay cheerful to the end of the day. Or if all else fails, will keep you from putting your head through your desk after a rough day!
5. Take every opportunity to learn new things and push yourself to master difficult tasks. Maybe even take a course whilst your working? Many employers will sponsor an employee to take a course if it will improve their employees skills, and there’s is no reason not to increase your skill set whilst you are working. Attend networking events and talks, expand your knowledge and find out about the important things that are going on in your job sector. It may spark an interest and renewed interest in your job, and your initiative will definitely impress the bosses.
These are just some little things that I like to keep in mind when I’m very tired or have had a long week. I’m lucky to have a job I am passionate about and really enjoy, but sometimes it can be difficult to remember these things when all of life’s little annoyances come to find you!
I’d love to hear your top tips for keeping up with the office grind and staying perky right up until the end of the day, (another sneaky little tip, don’t look at the clock too often!). What is it that keeps you going right up until home time?
Until next time!